Each Year Over 2,600 Pets are Given Good Homes!
Adoptions are made with the best interest of the pets in mind. We attempt to match the right person with the right pet. We ask each person surrendering an pet to provide detailed information about the pet. We are always happy to share what information we can about a pet and to help you find the right pet for your home.
Adopted pets are:
- Spayed or neutered
- Given initial vaccinations
- Microchipped (animals over 3 months old)
- Heartworm tested (dogs over 6 months old)
- Tested for FELV/FIV (cats over 3 months old)
All cats must leave the shelter in a carrier. If you do not bring one with you, one must be purchased at the shelter for $4.00.
Adult dogs must leave the premises on a leash. Friendship APL retains our leashes and collars. You may purchase a temporary slip lead for $2.14, buy something more permanent from our gift shop or bring your own.
The Adoption Process:
In general, the adoption process can take anywhere from an hour to several hours, depending on the volume of customers in the shelter. We greatly appreciate your patience during these more hectic times.
- The adoption process starts when you visit the shelter during open hours to meet your potential pet. (Please note that adoptions stop 30 minutes before closing to ensure staff has time to complete the paperwork. )
- Stop by the front desk if you need help navigating the shelter or have specific questions about an animal.
- After informing a front desk staff member, you are able to meet with the animal one-on-one in one of our adoption rooms.
- If you like the animal, you fill out an adoption questionnaire. NOTE: If you are looking at adult dogs and have resident dogs, we do require a dog-to-dog meet before our shelter dog can go home. In order to do a dog-to-dog meet, you first must fill out a adoption questionnaire.
- Staff reviews and approves your paperwork. If approval is granted, we do another 20 minutes worth of paperwork and you take the animal home directly afterward. For liability reasons, we cannot hold onto an animal after an adoption is processed.
Please feel free to give us a call at (440) 322-4321 or email us with any questions regarding adoptable pets or our adoption process. Or, as always, feel free to stop in during our business hours. We look forward to hearing from you soon!