Each Year Over 2,600 Pets are Given Good Homes!
The Adoption Process:
For ADULT dogs, cats, kittens or small animals:
In general, the adoption process can take anywhere from an hour to several hours, depending on the volume of customers in the shelter. We greatly appreciate your patience during these more hectic times.
- The adoption process starts when you visit the shelter during open hours to meet your potential pet. (Please note that adoptions stop 30 minutes before closing to ensure staff has time to complete the paperwork. )
- Stop by the front desk if you need help navigating the shelter or have specific questions about an animal.
- After informing a front desk staff member, you are able to meet with the animal one-on-one in one of our adoption rooms.
- If you like the animal, you fill out an adoption questionnaire. NOTE: If you are looking at adult dogs and have resident dogs, we do require a dog-to-dog meet before our shelter dog can go home. In order to do a dog-to-dog meet, you first must fill out a adoption questionnaire.
- Staff reviews and approves your paperwork. If approval is granted, we do another 20 minutes worth of paperwork and you take the animal home directly afterward. For liability reasons, we cannot hold onto an animal after an adoption is processed.
If you are interested in a puppy, you must join the Puppy Adoption Program. In this program, you do not meet the puppy in advance. You choose your puppy based on a biography and pictures posted to a private Facebook group. If you see a puppy you like, you comment with your first and last name ONLY IF YOU ARE COMMITTED TO ADOPTING. Our adoptions staff will send you instructions to complete the adoption contract and submit payment online. (Payment MUST be made online. We will not accept cash in person.) You would then pick up your puppy by the end of the next business day (4:30 pm). In order to qualify for the Puppy Adoption Program, you must complete an adoption application in advance. The application can be found here: Adoption Application
Any puppy in the private Facebook group that isn’t claimed within 24hrs will be moved to the main adoption floor, posted to the main website and be available to walk-in visitors. At that point, the adoption will be on a first-come, first-served basis. Hours of operation are Tuesday – Sunday, 11am – 4:30pm. Adoptions stop 30 minutes before closing.
All puppies are spayed or neutered, have a microchip, at least their first round of shots and have been given flea and tick repellent and a general dewormer. The adoption fee for a puppy is $250.
Adoptions are made with the best interest of the pets in mind. We attempt to match the right person with the right pet. We ask each person surrendering an pet to provide detailed information about the pet. We are always happy to share what information we can about a pet and to help you find the right pet for your home.
Adopted pets are:
- Spayed or neutered
- Given initial vaccinations
- Microchipped (animals over 3 months old)
- Heartworm tested (dogs over 6 months old)
- Tested for FELV/FIV (cats over 3 months old)
All cats must leave the shelter in a carrier. If you do not bring one with you, one must be purchased at the shelter for $5.00 plus tax.
Adult dogs must leave the premises on a leash. Friendship APL retains our leashes and collars. You may purchase a temporary slip lead for $2.14, buy something more permanent from our gift shop or bring your own.
Please feel free to give us a call at (440) 322-4321 or email us with any questions regarding adoptable pets or our adoption process. Or, as always, feel free to stop in during our business hours. We look forward to hearing from you soon!