Who Can Volunteer?
Friendship APL welcomes all volunteers who have a genuine interest in helping the pets and who seek to further our aims and ideas.
- Ages 10-15 (Junior): A parent or guardian must sign the waiver and accompany, and remain with the volunteer while on duty for both programs and events. The parent or guardian who will accompany the Junior Volunteer to the shelter must also attend orientation.
- Ages 16 to 17 (Young Adult): May work most programs and events. A parent or guardian must sign the volunteer waiver and should be available by telephone whenever the volunteer is at the shelter. We would also like their parent or guardian to attend orientation so they can understand the expectations of and opportunities afforded to Young Adult Volunteers.
- Ages 18 and up (Adult): No limitations.
To protect yourself, other people and the pets, and to promote good customer service, we provide an orientation before you begin your service as a volunteer. Our orientations are held the second Saturday of every month from 10:00am until 12 noon. There is no pre-registration required to attend orientation. Please print and complete both pages of the appropriate application and bring it with you to your orientation:
- Volunteer Application – Adult
- Volunteer Application – Young Adult – Ages 16 – 17
- Volunteer Application – Junior – Ages 10 – 15
Best Friends Walking Club – Every Saturday from 8:15 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
Volunteers who have completed Dog Walking 101, please join us for Best Friends Walking Club every Saturday from 8:15 a.m. to 9:45 a.m.
Best Friends Walking Club allows volunteers to walk dogs into the early morning. For safety reasons two volunteers walk one dog as a team. A volunteer leader may decide to go on a brief pack walk depending on the number of volunteers.
Questions about the volunteer program or the Dog Walking 101 class should be sent to Stephanie via email.